This creamy lemon chicken pasta is an easy and healthy dinner recipe the whole family will love. It can be made dairy free and is perfect for meal prep. With crispy chicken, creamy lemon garlic sauce & your choice of veggies!
Chicken and pasta are weekly staples in my kitchen, and this creamy lemon chicken pasta has been on repeat lately.
It’s made with simple, pantry staple ingredients, can easily be made dairy free by using cashew cream and cashew parmesan and is perfect for a simple family dinner!
You can serve it as is, add in some peas, sauteed asparagus or serve alongside my massaged kale salad. If you aren’t feeling the veggies, some extra fresh parsley on top can satisfy the need for something green!
This simple recipe comes together in about 30 minutes and stores well in the fridge for quick dinners and lunches throughout the week.
This lemon chicken sauce is made out of cream (dairy free or regular), parmesan, lemon, garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper! Try my lemon chicken bowl next!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick & easy! Just a few simple steps, this lemon chicken pasta is ready in about 30 minutes.
- Family friendly. If you’re cooking for picky eaters, don’t worry, this recipe is totally picky eater approved.
- Customizable. You can easily make it dairy free, gluten free and add any extra herbs, spices or veggies you like.
How to make lemon chicken pasta
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
Pound the chicken breasts until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Mix together the parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Coat the chicken with the spices and pat in. Heat a large pan with the oil and add in the chicken once hot.
Let cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked through and golden brown. Once cooked, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
To the same pan, add in the garlic and olive oil. Saute until the garlic is golden brown. Add in the white wine and let simmer until it has at least cooked off by half.
Add in all remaining sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let simmer for a few minutes to let the parmesan melt.
Stir in the pasta, then add in the chicken. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Do I need to marinate the chicken?
For this lemon chicken pasta, there is no need to marinate the chicken! Instead, we’ll be adding a dry spice rub and cooking the chicken in olive oil to get the outside a bit golden brown and crispy.
It will then get tossed in the sauce with the pasta, so there’s no need to marinate it!
Frequently asked questions
Does it keep?
Yes! Once prepared, this lemon chicken pasta will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. You can also freeze it, but if you’re using gluten free pasta it will likely fall apart a bit as it reheats.
It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. I like to freeze in smaller containers so it is pre-portioned and you can just defrost what you need.
What pasta is best?
In terms of shape, I love spaghetti or fettuccine, but penne, rotini or even bow ties work well. If you’re looking to add even more protein, you can try a chickpea or legume based pasta.
Or, if you’re looking to keep this low carb and keto friendly, you can try zucchini noodles in place of regular pasta.
Is this pasta healthy?
This recipe is high in protein, made with simple, good for you ingredients and can be high in fiber if you add in some veggies or use chickpea pasta! This healthy dish is perfect for the whole family.
More dinners you’ll love!
If you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list. As always, tag me on instagram if you make this recipe so I can see your creation!
Lemon Chicken Pasta
by: claire cary
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine
- ½ cup cashew cream or heavy cream
- ¾ cup parmesan can sub for dairy free parmesan
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest or more, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Mix together the parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the spices and pat in.
- Heat a large pan with the oil and add in the chicken once hot.
- Let cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked through and golden brown.
- Once cooked, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- To the same pan, add in the garlic and olive oil. Saute until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add in the white wine and let simmer until it has at least cooked off by half.
- Add in all remaining sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let simmer for a few minutes to let the parmesan melt.
- Stir in the pasta, then add in the chicken.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Really enjoyed this recipe. Had marinating Greek lemon/oregano chicken thighs in the refrigerator so had my husband grill them. Sautéed 1/2 onion along with the garlic. Used cashew cream that I had frozen which was thick so added 1/2 can full fat coconut milk and only used one TB of the lemon juice. Layered it all on plates. Is a very light tasting dish and very tasty. Thanks for posting the recipe. Will definitely make it again.
Claire Cary says
That chicken sounds delicious! So glad you enjoyed this recipe.
Made this easy recipe last night! It was so delicious. The chicken was great. I added some mushrooms just because they were on hand. Adding to our list of go-to dinners.l!
Claire Cary says
Amazing, thank you Rebecca!