Made with simple ingredients, these fluffy vegan gluten free pancakes are delicious and will soon be your favorite weekend breakfast! They’re easy to make from scratch and have a classic fluffy pancake texture.
It’s really easy to make vegan gluten free pancakes with a store bought gluten free all purpose flour, but those can get pricy and every brand can produce very different results.
So, for this recipe I decided we’ll just make our own flour blend so the results stay consistent.
We’ll need a base of oat flour and almond flour with a bit of tapioca starch to bind everything together and make them fluffy! There’s no egg and no flax, just a bit of apple sauce instead.
Because almond flour has a nutty flavor, it gets balanced out with oat flour, which together, make these pancakes SO fluffy. They’re freezer friendly too which makes them perfect for meal prep!
- Oat flour: The oat flour is the base of the recipe which yields a very soft and fluffy texture.
- Almond flour: The almond flour makes the pancakes super fluffy and also adds a really great flavor. If you have a nut allergy, you can sub the almond flour for more oat flour to make these nut free.
- Coconut or light brown sugar: To lighten sweeten the batter. You can really use any granulated sugar such as maple sugar, coconut, light brown or cane.
- Cinnamon & vanilla: For extra flavor.
- Non-dairy milk: To mix everything together. You can use any type of non-dairy milk. My personal favorite is unsweetened almond, but my homemade walnut milk is delicious too.
- Apple sauce: To help bind the ingredients together since these are egg free pancakes.
- Baking powder: To make them fluffy. We don’t need any baking soda, just baking powder to yield a nice fluffy texture.
This recipe really could not be more simple! First you’ll want to combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
This includes the oat flour, almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
Add in all of the remaining ingredients and whisk together until a batter forms. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to measure the batter onto a warm griddle or pan.
Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles start to form and the edges pull in slightly.
Transfer to a cooling rack while you prepare all of the other pancakes. This ensures the bottom of the pancake doesn’t get soggy from the heat sitting on a plate.
These pancakes are perfect with some good old fashioned maple syrup, but I love topping them off with a simple blueberry compote and extra fresh berries.
Feel free to throw in some chocolate chips to the batter (or just make my chocolate chip pancakes!), or some blueberries if desired. Sub the apple sauce for banana or pumpkin puree for a flavorful variation!
This recipe is made with a base of oat flour, but if you don’t have any, don’t worry since you can easily make your own!
Just add either quick or rolled oats to a high speed blender or food processor and process until you get a fine flour. Measure after blending before adding to the batter.
Frequently asked questions
How do I make pancakes fluffy? This recipe also uses plenty of baking powder, which helps give the ultimate fluffy texture. The baking powder is especially important for making pancakes fluffy, so be sure to use the full 2 teaspoons.
Do they keep? Once prepared, these pancakes will store in the fridge for 5 days. Keep them in an air tight container and reheat on the stove, toaster or microwave. My personal preference is to reheat in the toaster.
Can I freeze pancakes? These vegan gluten free pancakes can also be frozen, they will keep in the freezer for 3 weeks. Make sure to let them cool completely before transferring to an air tight container.
Pro tip: The batter will thicken as it sits. The recipe calls for 1 cup non-dairy milk, but you might need to add a few more tablespoons if you’re only cooking 1-2 pancakes at a time.
However, thicker batter means fluffier pancakes, so keep it thick if you prefer more fluff!
Try these recipes next!
Try this recipe? Leave a comment and rating below and let us know how it turns out! Follow along on instagram for more recipes & updates!
Vegan Gluten Free Pancakes
by: claire cary
- 2 tablespoon coconut or brown sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I used almond
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil I used melted coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Be sure to spoon and level the dry ingredients, don't scoop right from the bag.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and whisk together.
- Use a 1/4 measuring cup to pour the batter onto a warm and greased griddle or saute pan. The batter will thicken as it sits, so you can add more milk as needed or keep it thick which will just make the pancakes fluffier. If the batter is thick, when you add it to the pan, you'll just want to take the back of a spoon and smooth/spread it out a bit until it's an even circle.
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or flip once bubbles start to form.
- Repeat until all batter has been used. Serve with syrup and fresh berries.